[mythtv] Patch: Event log in database

Matt White whitem at arts.usask.ca
Sun Feb 22 13:50:37 EST 2004

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2004 23:17, Matt White wrote:

[snip patch and description]

> Ummm... how do you prevent this logging from filling up your disk?  With the
> current method (logging to a text file), I use logrotate to keep my
> mythbackend log from getting too big.  If you're logging to the database
> instead, I'd think you'd need some way of enforcing a max number of log
> entries, or a mechanism for expiring entries of a certain age.

D'oh.  I knew I forgot something.  I've got another script
(mythflushlog.pl) that I run nightly in crontab.  It deletes
all acknowledged events more than X days old, and all entries
more than Y days old.

The other thing that I just realized I didn't mention in my previous
email was that I'd put in a configuration option (in general settings,
second page) to enable/disable logging, with it being disabled by
default, so that people won't get their disks filling up if they don't
want to use logging.

I found out how to include new files in a CVS patch (thanks, Denys), so
I'll generate a new patch.  Denys also asked why I didn't use the Syslog
priority numbers, and I can't remember any good reason I didn't, so I
changed that, too.  I'll send a new patch as a new message.

Matt White                          whitem at arts.usask.ca
Arts and Science Computer Labs      University of Saskatchewan

It sure is Monday... Ain't it a sin
I've gotta work my way thru the week again.
	- Mark Chesnutt..."Sure Is Monday"