[mythtv] [Experiemental Patch] DVB now-next

John Pullan jmp at tarantella.com
Thu Feb 19 09:01:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:19, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:13, John Pullan wrote:
> [snip]
> > Doesn't seem to like the transition into record mode.
> > Seem to get (more) errors when recording, (not sure if this is
> > just due to poor reception though)
>
> I've only breifly looked over it, but it seems like a very sound approach.
>
> > I'm not sure if this should be in process to the backend or not?
> > I kind of thought it needed to be to open look at the DVB information
> > but I might be wrong.
>
> Maybe a external epg scanner is in place, but then it needs to coordinate card
> usage with the backend, so probably this is better for now. I'm suspecting
> you are going to make something of a channel sweap (like vdr), or is it all
> located on a special channel/pid?

That was my thinking. Although channels can provide details of other
channels, it would obviously be better to go and get an authoritative
result from the channel itself. (Also a channel can't know about all
other channels, different broadcast sources etc)

> > I'm not really happy with the way I'm getting the data into the
> > database. It goes via signal to DVBChannel to a method on the Recorder.
> > It seems a bit convoluted to me but I couldn't spot an analogous bit of
> > code.
>
> Since this is going to be hitting the database fairly regulary, at least when
> the full epg is in place, maybe it's better to make a new connection to the
> database?

How costly is a database hit ? At the moment you can get 2 listing
updates on a change, and that equates to four SQL requests. multiply
that by the number of channels being updated and it might get expensive
I guess. (Assume 20 channels all changing on the hour you get 80 SQL
queries)