[mythtv] who has hdtv?

Tristan McCann tristan at tristanmccann.com
Mon Feb 9 21:05:51 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 19:51, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
> Does anyone other than Doug on this list have an HDTV tuner?
>
> Just curious. I haven't gotten any feedback on my patches. I just found
> a one liner bug in the hdtv-recording patch that would have prevented
> almost anyone but me from using it, but no one pointed it out.
> (I'll be posting a fix to that bug later tonight.)
>
> -- Daniel
>   << When truth is outlawed; only outlaws will tell the truth. >> - RLiegh

I have the PCHDTV card, but I am running the 0.14 release (don't want to
mess with what is semi-working). I actually concocted my own one-line
patch to make XvMC only use the top field (since it only has to work for
me, and I display on a large computer monitor, and I don't get any 720p
stations here, just 1080i). That looks wonderful, and I have
deinterlaced video with no more prebuffering pauses. Since the OSD
stuttered so badly, I hacked the theme to disable all text and graphics
display, so I actually don't see anything at all.

All your patches look useful, but I am too busy with school to try them
out (I use the debian packages). The one that I could find myself
needing badly is the workaround to make it so the frontend doesn't
segfault on bad reception (XvMC doesn't like that, right?).

I noticed a problem with the backend starving the frontend when I was
watching the grammys last night (WatchingPreRecorded as it was
recording) and I caught up too close to the end of the file (that's
never really happened to me before). It caused segfaults when I didn't
pause for 5 seconds, then go on ... for some inexplicable reason I guess
I caught up again (didn't touch fast-forward/rewind) over and over
again.

I need to use ALSA:default for me to not get audio buffering problems
with 5.1 audio. If I use OSS emulation, it manifests itself as loud
static. The only 5.1 broadcasts in my area since I got this were the
superbowl and the grammys. The only problem is I don't HAVE 5.1 audio
physically, just 2.1...I lost some music tracks during the grammys. I
have a soundblaster live value, is there a way to force it to mix 5.1
audio down to 2.1? Mplayer has no problems with dvds...

Other than the preceding, everything is sweet...what wonderful
technology!

Thanks for all your hacking,
-Tristan

PS - does the frontend really need to mute the PCM audio during seeking?
I had alsamixer up on my other monitor last night and I noticed that...