[mythtv] GUI OFFSETS don't work properly

Jim Brunner jim.brunner at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 20:32:01 EST 2004

I've finally got 720p working with DVI (yeah).  Now I'm back to a myth
problem.

There's currently a fair amount of overscan which prevents me from
seeing the edges of the myth screens.  I can easily adjust the height &
width in the preferences and this fixes the bottom and right.  However,
the GUI X Offset and GUI Y Offset have no effect - I can change them to
any value - no difference.

After digging a bit more, it seems that the offset values *do* work IFF
in run the GUI in a window.  The offsets shift the window location
appropriately.  If I run the GUI in full screen mode, the offsets have
no effect.

The problem with running it in a window is that the window manager
(gnome) won't let me move the title bar of the window above the menu
bar at the top of the screen.

Is this a bug?  Or design intent?  If it's supposed to work this way,
what other options do I have?  (I've got plenty of screen real-estate
to play with now that I'm running 1280x720.)

P.S.  Thanks to "gotti" for this wonderful modeline:
Modeline "1280x720" 75.142 1280 1352 1392 1648 720 731 736 760 -hsync
-vsync
This is what I needed for direct DVI to an HDTV.