[mythtv] Proposed scheduler patch

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 16:07:10 EST 2004

David Engel wrote:

> I believe the skipped recording problem is fixed with this new patch.
>
> While tracking this problem down, I discovered a long-standing bug on
> multiple tuner systems.  If two or more programs are scheduled to
> start recording at the same, one or more of them might not have the
> global preroll applied or a user watching live TV might not be
> informed of the impending recording.  I believe this problem is also
> fixed with this patch.
>
> If I don't hear of any serious problems with this patch, I am going to
> commit it tomorrow evening.
>
> David

David,

I am just about keeping up with your patches at present, and fixing merge
differences between your tree and my local "play" area. I have 2 or 3 patches
which may be of interest - Perhaps you could tell me if you would like to see
them tidied up and posted, or whether I should wait a while longer - You are
being quite prolific recently :-)

1) The "xmltvid is global" patch which I've posted previously - I accidentally
turned this off the other day, and BOY does it make a difference. I can
provide a trimmed down version which does nothing but add this feature.

2) The "DoFixup" patch which was part of my previous submission - I assume
that this will eventually become redundant as some of your planned changes are
rolled in, so unless you think there is value in a single pass fixup to catch
the worst cases of mis-scheduling, I'll leave this one out.

3) A new "concept" patch - I have modified the scheduled programs SELECT
statement to select all instances of all programs on all sources, and to
pre-fill the cardid and inputid values - Then by modifying the duplicates
matching slightly, the duplicates are marked as "rsOtherRecording" entries -
this means that the DoMultiCard() and associated calls can be removed. It
would be best to prune some of these duplicates fully at a later stage (for
aesthetic reasons), but I would be interested in feedback on the concept - It
is working very well here so far. This patch overlaps slightly with the xmltv
patch in 1) due to the duplicate matching code.

Let me know if you are interested in me preparing these patches - I'll wait
for your next commit to go through first so everything is tested against the
latest code.

Regards,
Steve
Steve Davies                   steve at one47.co.uk

PGP Fingerprints:
DH/DSS : 5D85 8164 91D7 E9CC 4F80  842B AB86 93D9 8938 7612
RSA    :      4E2E E60F 3D76 9E7E  70F9 901B 70FA 56C8
RSA4096: 02BE 5C0E EFA2 E1E4 EA89  C9CC 1E4F F654 3BC7 B65E