[mythtv] Re: [patch] DVB auto-pid, take 2

Base Commander base_commander at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 01:34:56 EST 2004

Thanks for the feedback, Kenneth.

Agreed- I can see why this could cause issues.  I'm very much in favour of
eliminating the dvb_pids table, since most DVB receivers would normally use
the PMT to determine the correct PIDs.  We can use the cached PMT from the
channel table (if available) to read out the last transmitted PID and just
re-use it.

The reason that I'm hoping to get this in is that I've got a full
NIT-scanning implementation that we can use to auto-determine the available
channels, given an initial transponder's tuning information.  It's a lot
cleaner to do the PID detection at channel switch time, rather than channel
scan time, especially since some channels may come on/offline during the
day.

To address the multiple-audio-PID issue - should we have a dvb_lang table
with language priority for each channel source?  We could just use the
following logic:

1.  If one or more of the audio PIDs in the PMT match the dvb_lang table,
use the one with the highest priority.
2.  If there are more than one audio PID in the PMT with the same language,
and this language is the highest priority, take the first one (in PMT
order).
3.  If there are no audio PIDs with languages in the dvb_lang table (or none
of the PIDs have language identifiers), take the first one (in PMT order).

This should handle all of the channels that I can see here.  Most of them
have either no MPEG language tag, or "eng" as the specified ISO language.