[mythtv] [Draft] Duplicate docs

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Feb 8 21:28:11 EST 2004

Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>As I've mentioned before, all the threads on the subject of
>>duplicate detection are full of mis-conceptions. I've always
>>said that if we ever had user configurable duplicate detection,
>>there would need to be user documention and that I would be
>>willing to take on the task.
>>
>>So, here it is =). Comments, questions, clarifications,
>>simplifications?
>

> Way better than I could have done.  If you think of anything
> better to name the different settings feel free to comment
> on that.

I thought you did a really good job. The problem is not only
the text in the box but the label. Twenty or thirty chars just
can't describe how these really work but the text you used
clearly identifies the types.

>  I wanted the "even if empty" setting when I applied
> the patch by Joel, but couldn't think of anything better to
> name that option.  I've already used it on several shows I watch
> that occasionally have empty descriptions.

Yeah, I have to admit that I was surprised that you included
this. First, I hope I described the logic correctly. I assume
that I did because you didn't call me out on it. I remember
during previous discussions that I'd searched for null match
examples and found lots of pitfalls. While I saw things that
would work, I never found an example where it was necessary.
In each case I've seen, "Subtitle" or "Description" would
be more accurate.

For an example, maybe not the best example, I've seen "Queer
Eye" has the subject's name in the subtitle. There may or may
not be a description even for the same subtitle and there may
be generic episode. Here, "Subtitle" would be the best choice
and Empty would be asking for trouble.

A better example would be a title that usually has an episode
subtitle and no desc. but then no subtitle but a description for
generics. Until I see some examples where you have to use this
to get the correct result, I'll stand by the statements that
this may work but it may be more troublesome than helpful and
another method would be a better choice.

--  bjm