[mythtv] Occasionally no audio while recording with PVR-350

Andreas Sahlbach andreas at sahlbach.com
Sat Feb 7 15:23:32 EST 2004

Hi!

I'm currently using release 0.14 with ivtv 0.1.9, recording with a PVR-350
and watching with a gforce.

I have the following problem: Every morning I'm recording a couple of shows
for my little daughter. These shows are all on the same channel and most of
them are just 15 minutes or so. No one is using MythTV for other things
during these recordings. Everything works fine but sometimes it happens,
that one of the recording contains no sound.

It looks like that this happens pretty randomly. Sometimes more than one
show has no sound, sometimes just one show, but always the complete
recording of the particular show has no sound. It also happened once to
myself, recording a single BBC-report at the evening. It never happened so
far during watching live tv.

Because it's always affecting the complete show, I guess it has something to
do with the initialization of the audio input. I was watching the mailing
lists during the last months and saw one or two guys with similar problems
and they both had a PVR-250/350 for input.

I set up a cron job to log the output of test_ioctl -a during the
recordings, but the output looks ok during a recording without sound (sound
is not muted). There is nothing special so far in the syslog.

Also the recorded files contain a correct audio layer. It's just that the
audio layer contains no sound.

I need some help now guys, because I don't know where to look next. What can
I do to search for this bug? Where should I search? Is it a mythtv bug or is
it ivtv related? What kind of debug-flags can I turn on to get some hints?

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks guys..

Andreas

BTW: Even with this bug: MythTV is great! Thanks to all devs doing this
great work.