[mythtv] [patch] Channel visible indicator

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 6 16:52:02 EST 2004

"J. Donavan Stanley" <jdonavan at jdonavan.net> writes:

> I don't know about you but I'd much rather just check a check box than
> edit a file by hand.  I've already done it for my DirecTV setup and it
> was a royal PITA.

Hmm, I guess it wasn't that bad for me..  I did it once and I pretty
much don't need to think about it again until my cable company changes
my channel lineup, which seems to happen a few times a year.  And even
then I only need to think about it for the newly added channels.

How do you propose to keep these settings across a channel-data
reset?

>        Course we could always just stick to VCRs,
> after all we can timeshift with them using existing technology.

You can?  How?  I've never seen a VCR that can play a show while it is
still recording that show, let alone record multiple shows at once.

I'm not saying that this is a useless feature, I'm just pointing out
that there ARE alternatives that work today and give you (almost)
exactly what you want.  Having the ability to turn on HBO or Encore
when the cable company gives you a month (or weekend) free sounds like
a very useful feature.

I just wish there were a better method to handle channel moves and
changes that didn't lose so much data.

-derek