[mythtv] Using mplayer or other "plugin" in MythBrowser

johannes johannes-mythtv_dev at steensma.us
Fri Feb 6 16:26:56 EST 2004

I would like to use plugins in MythBrowser to play e.g. video links.
Because of pure lack of time (and interest) in learning KDE stuff,
I cooked up a simple change in the MythBrowser that will start
a script with mplayer on video links.

Because I am not sure if it would be better to start mplayer
through KDE plugins, or to start it using a myth handler (similar to
myth video), I took the easy way out and use this piece of code.

I guess it would be a bit nicer to just start the mythvideo player on
the url. (using the player set through the gui, as well as using the
list of supported mythvideo extensions). If the latter would actually be
the preferred way to go, let me know, and I might put some more time in
it. (but then again, should it use the mythvideo settings, or duplicate
that in mythbrowser to have its own settings, and/or include suport for
other plugins like audio streams, or etc etc.....)

Anyway, here is my solution for now:
It is a diff file that changes the webpage.cpp (diff attached)
The code basically just checks if the last characters of the selected
url link are ".avi", or ".mpg", ...and starts mplayer through my play
script  /usr/local/bin/play_avi.
So if anyone thinks this may be helpfull, then create this script or
adapt the source, and have fun. Your feedback is appreciated.

J.