[mythtv] New music playing module for mythtv

Henrik (Mauritz) Johnson hpj at underscore.se
Wed Feb 4 07:57:51 EST 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Wednesday 04 February 2004 02:12 am, Henrik (Mauritz) Johnson wrote:
>

>>Hi, I wrote to this list a few months ago about plans to write a new
>>module for playing music or alternatively doing some heavy modifications
>>to the current one. I've started the work on this now, I don't really
>>have anything to show yet but here are some of the points that I'm
>>aiming on doing different than the current music module.
>>

>That's great, but you're going to overlap with mfd.  mythmusic will start
>using the mfd for playback/ripping Real Soon Now, once Thor's finally happy
>with how it works on its own.

What is mfd? I found it in the CVS, and there is a short description in
the readme but I don't really understand what its purpose is.

>>1. Use libxine for playback. This has the advantage that it can handle
>>music videos as well as supporting a huge amount fileformats. I already
>>have a Qt widget playing libxine stuff.
>>

>I've said this before, guess I'll have to say it again.  I will not add xine
>as a dependency to mythtv or mythmusic.

That's ok. I am not aiming for this to be a replacement for mythmusic
for everyone. Also, Xine is no problem as a dependency as compared to
the GlobeCom Jukebox which is much trickier to install. For me building
on the GlobeCom Jukebox has the advanctage on building on around 8 years
of development of a tool for playing music and it is built from the
beginning to handle large music collections.

>>3. One of the main focus is to ALWAYS keep the music playing, no matter
>>what you are doing in the user interface.
>>

>Already done with mfd.

Again the main problem I have is that browsing the music in MythMusic is
a pain, there is no sorting or searching. Also another advantage of
building on GlobeCom Jukebox is that all the functionality needed to
handle your music collection is already available in the web interface
so stuff that you don't need often can be excluded in the beginning.

>>4. Design the userinterface to handle huge volumes of music and make
>>browsing of said music list as painless as posible. My current music
>>collection is almost 8000 songs or videos (My jukebox fileserver is
>>almost 3tb of disc). So for instance such silliness as scanning through
>>the disc to get all the songs is not an option no matter what, not on
>>startup, not anytime. I'm also designing the userinterface for use of a
>>programmable remote (I use a Philips Pronto myself) so there will be
>>quite a lot of keybindings and no corresponding buttons on the screen
>>for them. There is precious little screen realestate as it is, why waste
>>it on buttons?
>>

>Because not everyone has a pronto?  Ideally, the interface should be
>completely useable with 4 arrow keys, a select button, a menu button, and
>escape.  Using the number keys for minor functionality is allowable.

I've been thinking about adding an optional button row at the bottom to
add this functionality. Not in the first version though.

/Mauritz