[mythtv] hdtv reorg, crc checking

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Tue Feb 3 19:59:28 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:

> Thanks, but that is mostly the work of Jason Hoos and Doug Larrick.

Yes I know, but they only have so much time.  It is nice to have another
person improving the system!

I am trying to get a handle on this stuff so I can contribute as well, but
learning video formats is a whole new area for me.  I am a pretty good c++
programmer, but it is going to take me a while to understand how all this
fits together.

> The problem here is that if we need to drop frames we really don't want
> to waste calls to PrepareFrame on Frames we never use. Has anyone
> thought of this with PVR decoding? It seems like this would be a problem
> with slow CPUs on regular 640x480, not just on full size HDTV on a fast
> CPU. From my googling it looks like the mplayer people do something like
> this to make OSD work with XvMC.

I ended up ditching XvMC because it caused my HD video to studder so badly,
especially with OSD, but even without it.  Turning off XvMC support in myth
greatly improved HD playback.

I assumed that XvMC just could not handle a 1920x1080 frame size.

John