[mythtv] hdtv reorg, crc checking

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Tue Feb 3 19:30:46 EST 2004

Thanks, but that is mostly the work of Jason Hoos and Doug Larrick.
Anyway here is a new patch
  http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~danielk/mythtv/hdtv-patch4.txt
It helps a little with the OSD slowdown by calling Flush on the OSD
fill, and delaying Sync on a frame until you really need it. But I think
this actually requires a fix to NuppelVideoPlayer::VTAVSync & co, too
add more frames between the call to PrepareFrame and Show, since
PrepareFrame can take a while with OSD compositing.

The problem here is that if we need to drop frames we really don't want
to waste calls to PrepareFrame on Frames we never use. Has anyone
thought of this with PVR decoding? It seems like this would be a problem
with slow CPUs on regular 640x480, not just on full size HDTV on a fast
CPU. From my googling it looks like the mplayer people do something like
this to make OSD work with XvMC.

-- Daniel
  << When truth is outlawed; only outlaws will tell the truth. >> - RLiegh