[mythtv] sleep & wakeup

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Feb 1 13:27:08 EST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Christian Hoenig wrote:

> Unfortunately suspend to RAM does not work on most machines (at least not on
> all I tested). If it would work this would really be an option, but also I
> don't want my machine to stay in StR all the time. So I think, I'd like to
> stay with my current implementation (though I probably rethink if there is an
> alternative available ;-) )

Suspend to RAM doesn't work for ACPI under the 2.4 kernel (AFAIK the code
has been implemented in 2.6 though).  I've not had any problems with the
APM suspend to RAM stuff though..  I agree that leaving the box in suspend
to ram isnt' as nice as a full shutdown (for one thing my box insists on
keeping the fans running while suspended), but it's better than nothing
and I really don't want to wait 30 second for the machine to boot up every
time I turn the telly on. :(

Also, in suspend to RAM mode, you can get most machines to wake in serial
interrupts, whcih means a wake up is also triggerable by the remote
control (although that might be set off by stray IR light for the homebrew
transmitter since it won't be doing any decoding..  need to test that)

> Michael Schmidt brought mit to that simple idea. So if thats interesting for
> you, I'll submit that soon, too.

Cool, thanks :)

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/