[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-users] sleep & wakeup

steve at nexusuk.org steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Feb 1 12:22:19 EST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Christian Hoenig wrote:

> I am thinking up and down about the pros and cons and the more I think about
> it, I ask myself why to change the current thing? What is it that you need?
> My mind tells me, that I don't like the idea of the machine continuelly
> shutting down when I'm not using it actively.

For me at least, it is a fairly sane assumption that if the frontend has
been completely idle for 15 minutes then I'm not using it anymore, so if
the backend is also idle it's safe to shut the machine down (actually,
suspend to ram rather than a full shutdown - I don't want to wait for a
reboot when I start using it again).  I would prefer not to have to
remember to shut the frontend down when I leave the machine.

> Wouldn't an option to startup the FE through the MBE in the case the machine
> is started by the user be enough? (I just implemented that before I saw the
> 'big' interest in that topic).

Ah, I hadn't spotted that - that's a good idea.  How does the backend know
if the user started the machine up or if it automatically started?

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/