[mythtv] mythRadio Idea

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 30 21:40:19 UTC 2004

On 12/13/2004 08:06 PM, Glen Tregoning wrote:

>One of the issues that people seem to be having with the tv/fm tuner
>card radio modules is that they run independently of mythtv.  For
>example that if mythtv wants to record a program using  the tv/fm card
>while someone is listening to the radio it won't be handled nicely.

You should (in other words, I haven't tried it myself) be able to
prevent this problem by using a MythTV menu item defined with the
"EXECTV" action to tell Myth you're using the TV tuner.  See tvmenu.xml
for an example.

Note, also, that if you're using a tuner (i.e. the RF-modulated (coax)
input) on a PVR-x50 (and, possibly other cards), simply hooking an FM
antenna to the FM connector will increase the amount of interference
(and, therefore, noise) on your TV signal.  Normally, antenna signals
are passed through filters to remove the unwanted frequencies before
passing them to an FM or TV tuner; unfortunately, though, since the
PVR-x50 uses the same tuner for TV and FM, both signal types are input
to the same device.  Therefore, once you've hooked up the FM, make sure
you test your video quality before corrupting too many important recordings.

HTH.

Mike