[mythtv] [patch] Prefer lower-numbered audio stream

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Dec 28 17:18:05 UTC 2004

Doug Larrick wrote:

> J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
>> Doug Larrick wrote:
>>
>>> The attached patch modifies AvFormatDecoder::autoSelectAudioTrack()
>>> to prefer an audio stream that is mentioned earlier in the tables
>>> (lower-numbered).  My PBS stations often have two audio tracks --
>>> the normal one, and DVS (Descriptive Video Service, for the
>>> vision-impaired).  The current code is finding the DVS stream by
>>> default.
>>>
>> Unfortunatly your code will break audio track selection for perfect
>> DVD rip playback.
>

> Could you explain a little further?  I'm sure we can come up with a
> solution that works everywhere.

Well, what it really requires is for someone to look up the rule used
for audio streams in MPEG2 files.  There must be some sort of rule,
otherwise stand alone DVD players and HDTVs would get it wrong.  In my
(limited) testing, DVDs appear to follow a pattern of the highest
numbered track that meets the desired number of channels.  However, it's
possible there's some sort of flag to indicate this.