[mythtv] hdtvrecorder: dynamic ringbuffers?

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Wed Dec 22 13:47:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Kyle Rose wrote:
]Not clear why you have swap enabled on what is essentially an embedded
]device: 512MB should be more VM than you ever need for this purpose,
]and by disabling swap you eliminate an entire class of latency
]failures that can be mistaken for other problems.  Just IMO.  Only my
]laptop has swap, and then enabled only when I do swsusp2 hibernate.

Many people run MythTV on their regular PC, especially recorders. Here
the typical reasons for swap apply. Besides MythTV shouldn't be
allocating hundreds of megabytes it's not using, this could cause an
non-swap MythTV setup to run out of memory prematurely. And, since most
MythTV setups run X, and hence allow linux to allocate more memory
than it has, this could unleash the dreaded OOM killer.

-- Daniel