[mythtv] hdtvrecorder: dynamic ringbuffers?

Wed Dec 22 08:35:54 UTC 2004

I have written a version of the hdtvrecorder ringbuffer code which
creates a variable number of ringbuffers, per recording.

Each ringbuffer is 20mb in size.  If a ringbuffer fills up, another
ringbuffer is created and all new data is written to it.  When the
filewriter empties a deprecated ringbuffer, it is deleted, and the
filewriter moves onto the next ringbuffer.  I have capped the maximum
number of simultaneous ringbuffers at 8.

The advantage of this system, is a much smaller memory footprint -- most
of the time.

The disadvantage is greater complexity, and a bit more overhead managing
the ringbuffers.

My question is, which would people prefer?

John