[mythtv] Predictive text input method

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Wed Dec 15 14:39:59 UTC 2004

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Allan Stirling wrote:
>> To find a program called 'New Yankee' (With a remote mapped 2abc 3def
>> 4ghi 5jkl 6mno 7pqrs 8tuv 9wxyz 0space) the input would be
>> 639092633, possibly refining the search as the input is being typed...
>>

> I said before the weekend (this idea was also mentioned by Ian Cambell
> in this thread last week), I used to have a C++ class that implemented
> this sort of searching based on a dictionary you load (e.g. all the
> words in the search space!! or /usr/share/dict/words).
>
> Giving the class a number sequence as input, it would return all the
> words that begin with those letter combinations.
>
> It worked quite well.
>
> I said I'd try and dig it out (it was written about 3 or 4 years ago!)
> and slap up a few tests before integrating it into myth.
No real need, I think. Looking at this a little:

Looking for 'Alias' and typing just 2542 gives us what we want. 1 extra
letter brings it down to 3 results.

mysql> select distinct title from program where title REGEXP
'[2abc][5jkl][4ghi][2abc]';
| title                                   |
| Accessories by Lusso Italia             |
| Alias                                   |
| Alias Ricky Gervais                     |
| Alice in Wonderland                     |
| Alice through the Looking Glass         |
| Alice's Adventures in Wonderland        |
| Australian Rugby League                 |
| Avventura - Journeys in Italian Cuisine |
| Bend it Like Beckham                    |
| Click Online                            |
| Extreme Australia                       |
| Giorgio Locatelli Pure Italian          |
| Italian for Beginners                   |
| Malibu CA                               |
| Planed Plant:Asterix y Galiad           |
| Prince Valiant                          |
| Public Accounts Committee               |
| Scandalicious: Movie Awards             |
| Spain and the Algarve Deals             |
| Talia's Day Off                         |
| Tasting Australia                       |
| The Block Australia                     |
| The Falcon's Alibi                      |
| Top Ten Australia                       |
| Who Are the Beckhams?                   |
| Xcalibur                                |
26 rows in set (0.23 sec)

I'm looking at this option now. REGEXP appears to go back to 3.2xish at
least.

Cheers,

Allan.