[mythtv] idea: channel groups

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Dec 13 21:30:47 UTC 2004

> 1) Grouping of channels can be thought of as
>    imposing a hiererchy on them, but is one
>    level of hierarchy enough?

No, think of it as a bookmark list.  Actually, I didn't know about the
"favorites" thing already present, which seems to be exactly what I'm
looking for as far as channel lists go (as long as it's not limited to
just one list).

> 3) We currently have "the list of setup channels",
>    and favourites under that. It sounds like we need
>    at least a "New Channels" group to be added soon?

Yeah.  "new channels" would be good.  Then some sort of user interaction
to either add or ignore them (include a preview of the channel, to make
it easy to tell if there's any content -- hmm, although this would annoy
Dish customers, since going to an unsubscribed channel can only be
exited from via channel up/down -- number keys don't work)

> a) I have been thinking of having up/down go between
>    groups at the top level, and then left and right
>    iterate through that group's items. e.g.:

nah, nothing so complex.  just a button to bring up the favorites list
of your choice.

Anyway, looks like most of this is already present with the favorites
stuff.  Just means I need to look into how to edit the list and add an
editor to mythweb.

-Chris