[mythtv] MythTV: Isaac Tivo: > 100 tech guys

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Fri Dec 10 21:54:38 UTC 2004

On 10 Dec 2004, at 11:56 AM, Ed Wildgoose wrote:

> Part of the problem could be that we don't know that there is a 4
> space rule...

I couldn't find any information on mythtv.org about how to be a
developer.  No 4-space rule, no patch submission process, not even an
encouragement to join the dev list.  It's difficult for folks to know
the rules when they aren't stated; not everyone has the patience to
read six months of mythtv-dev posts and reverse engineer it (that's how
I learned).

I'll try to write a section for the documentation, in the meantime I've
added a fair amount to the Wiki guide:

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythTvDevelopmentHowTo

> However this is exactly the kind of thing that I probably would look
> up if there was a condensed coding standards page which pointed this
> stuff out...?

http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/CodingStandards

I've cobbled together what I know from the list and the code base,
making up some along the way.  I probably got some things wrong, but
that's why it's on the Wiki.  Isaac, no one will ask you to enforce or
endorse this (at least, I certainly won't), but we'd appreciate your
input -- after all, we want to write code that you'll want to read.
Ed, Colin, anyone else, feel free to add to this, and we can at least
be consistent amongst ourselves.

- Jeremiah