[mythtv] ALSA "fixes" actually break stuff in CVS?

M. S. skd5aner at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 19:22:10 UTC 2004

Hi -

   I'm not a developer, so it's nearly impossible for me to troubleshoot by
looking at the source, but I was running a version of CVS in October, and
last night I updated my CVS and now I'm having massive sound failures that
cause Myth to be totally unusable.

  First, without changing any of the previous settings, I went to watch Live
TV and I got a message saying that /dev/mixer wasn't a valid device and
couln't be accessed.  After a little research on the dev mailing list
archives I see that it said to put "default" as the mixer device.  I also
use software-dmix settings and an .asoundrc file so it uses digital audio.

  Second, and this is the problem that basically makes Myth unusable, is
that after about 20-30 seconds of watching TV... I get WriteAudio: buffer
underrrun errors repeatidly until I exit to the main menu.  This causes the
video and audio to go into a slow motion convulsion.  I have submitted a bug
report because it had worked in all previous versions of myth since .15 just
fine.  I also reinstalled ALSA just in case and update from 1.07RC2 to the
latest release of 1.07 to verify it wasn't something wrong with that.

  Unfortuantly, there is (was) an overwhelming amount of reasons I used CVS
over .16 (functionality, features, and fixes).  I know that a lot of work
went into supposidly "fixing" ALSA in the current CVS, but I don't really
think it has fixed much besides breaking Myth.  I'm not even sure how to
troubleshoot or fix this problem at this point.  Anyone have any ideas?