[mythtv] Software AC3 decoding when watching TV

Tj htpc at treblid.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 9 12:36:13 UTC 2004

Dave Packham wrote:

>This would be an ALSA or OSS issue if im not mistaken.  I too have
>played with AC3 a bit to get it to decode.  I know that ALSA sound

Don't you need some audio decoder (a52dec.c or ac3dec.c) in MythTV
itself to decode the audio frames? I added some assert(0) in the
*_decode_frame() functions in the above mentioned files and it didn't
assert out at all..

>package has software AC3 decoders and they do downmix to stereo.  Your
>prolly going to have to ask some questions in the ALSA list to get help
>with this.

How to associate the AC3 decoder with myth? ac3dec from alsa-tools
decodes from files, not from a live dvb stream.

Regards.