[mythtv] Python bindings

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 17:43:29 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:04:06 -0000 (GMT), Phil Thompson
> <phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Actually I (as the author of PyQt) have been thinking about it, but I
>> haven't yet got my MythTV setup going - so I'm happy to help. Why would
>> you need a custom C++ layer?
>
> Just figured there would need to be some code in myth to handle the
> api to python.  I've never written a binding from C++ to python
> before, so I have no idea of how much you can get away with in pure
> python - I'll defer to your knowledge if you say this isn't neccessary
> =)

I'm not yet familiar with how myth is architected. Some work would be
needed to enable plugins to be written in Python. Similar work has been
done elsewhere - for example being able to write KParts using PyKDE - but
it would nice to formalise it.

If there is a formal myth C++ API then it should be relatively easy to
automatically generate corresponding Python modules. That would allow
standalone applications to be written in pure Python.

Phil