[mythtv] DVB Features (Subtitles & Interactive)

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 15:25:21 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, Dec 8, 2004, at 12:00 Europe/London,
mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:32:25 +0000
> From: Paul Wheeler <paulrwheeler at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv] DVB Features (Subtitles & Interactive)
> To: mythtv-dev at mythtv.org
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have two questions about the state of DVB in Myth, I am based in the
> UK.
>
> Interactive
> ======
>
> I dont know if this is a uk only thing as havent heard it mentioned at
> all on the mailing lists. Can  Myth handle 'going interactive' an
> example is the BBCi service. From what i can tell from scan etc this
> has its own PID with the information. Again what is the state with
> this, have people looked at it in the past and turned it away for some
> reason (what was that reason). In interactive you get a menu and can
> select different streams to watch. Does anyone know if this is a
> hardware issue?

It seemed to me that the lack of interactive and text services was the
only drawback with Myth when compared with a set-top box.  Since no one
else seems to be working on this I've been looking at it with a view to
providing something which can be used in Myth as well as other
applications.  In the UK interactive data is encoded in MHEG 5, a
programming language sort of half way between HTML and Java.  Most
other countries seem to be going for MHP which is Java based.  Both
MHEG and MHP are transmitted using DSM-CC and there's a program called
dvbdata which will record the streams.

I've got to the stage where I can display text and graphics and simple
interactions work using object carousels recorded with dvbdata.  To get
something working quickly I've been writing an application in Visual
C++ on Windows.  It's been a long time since I wrote much X-Windows
code so that was the best way to start.  The intention was always to
port it Linux so there's very little that is specific to Windows.  I've
more or less reached the point where it will need to be ported since I
need to be able to control the tuner directly from the application.
It's certainly not ready for release yet and any help with it would be
appreciated.

David.