[mythtv] [Feature request] Startup delay
Ed Wildgoose
lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Dec 6 12:20:42 UTC 2004
Neil Whelchel wrote:
>Hello,
>I am using mythbackend on a dedicated machine and I am starting it along
>with the database from iniitab. While this does manage to work, there is a
>small problem; The database takes alot longer to start than mythbackend
>does. So the result is mythbackend respawning several times before the
>database comes up.
>
What about using some scripting magic to check if mysql is alive yet?
I'm sure it creates a creates a lock file somewhere, or perhaps you can
try to connect a few times, etc. Try a quick search through google,
checking the db is alive before doing something can't be an uncommon
problem so I'm sure you can get some new and interesting ways to solve this.
Simply adding a delay doesn't seem too clever, but would be sufficient.
However, I can't see why a script which does the same isn't just as good?
Have you considered daemontools as another alternative (it's what I
use), however, it might bloat your distro a little more I guess?
Nice idea anyway! Hope you will document what you did when it's
finished? Getting a really tightly integrated box which just stays up
all the time is quite a tricky finishing job! Good luck
Ed W
More information about the mythtv-dev
mailing list