[mythtv] can't compile cvs mythtv on amd64

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Fri Dec 3 16:48:46 UTC 2004

"Christopher N. Deckard" <cnd at ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> I'm getting this linker error when trying to build MythTV CVS (current
> as of 11:20am EST November 30th).  I've tried for a week to get this
> resolved and haven't figured anything out.  Any ideas?
> /usr/bin/ld: postprocess.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> postprocess.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is the same thing I'm getting.  I'm almost certain it's related
to one of the recent ffmpeg syncs not working properly with AMD64: My
analysis (partially based on earlier and more verbose error messages
from gcc-4.0, which detects the problem at compile time) is that some
of the assembler code in libavcodec uses registers that violate the
AMD64 ABI for shared objects.  Of course, since I don't know anything
about the low-level AMD64 ABI, I don't know how to fix it beyond
talking to the ffmpeg guys, which I will do.

Cheers,
Kyle