[mythtv] Tip on how to slow down noisy DVD drives

David =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4rdeman?= david at 2gen.com
Fri Dec 3 10:12:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

my DVD drive was spinning at full speed all the time when watching DVD
movies (meaning it sounded like an airplane taking off). The different
utils available to set the playback speed of CD-ROM's didn't seem to
do much so I sent a mail to the Linux kernel mailing list.

The thread can be seen here:

But a more important result is probably this link:
http://noto.de/speed/speedcontrol.c

Which uses the SET_STREAMING command of DVD drives to lower the speed,
I've been running it for the last week and it changed my DVD drive from
being unbearably noisy to inaudiable.

Thought I'd share this with everyone cause I can't be the only one who
has suffered from this =)

Re,
David Härdeman
david (at) 2gen (dot) com