[mythtv] New AspectRatio option

Robert Clark mythtv at ratty.org.uk
Wed Dec 1 18:55:56 UTC 2004

[Resent as my previous email didn't make it to the list]

  Hi Chris,

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 22:42, chris.web at tamibrown.com wrote:

> I've been implementing MythTV using Xbox as frontend, and have run
> into a problem that I believe (after searching google and the various
> lists) needs to be fixed with a new configuration option. I am
> planning to add a new 'MonitorAspect' option to the appearance setup
> section that can be switched between '4:3' and '16:9'. to tell MythTV
> that pixels are not displayed as squares.

  I've run into the same kind of problems. Although the canonical way to
fix this is to set the screen size in the X server config file, I've
found that there are rounding errors introduced with this. I've got a
couple of patches that I'm attaching which, although they don't quite do
what you are talking about, are solving the problem for me.

  The first patch enables some configuration options which had been
commented out. These allow you to manually specify the screen
dimensions. The second patch adds the code required to use these options
to videoout_xv.cpp & videoout_xvmc.cpp.

  These work for me (I'm specifying my display dimension as 1024x576 for
my 16:9 TV), but I haven't posted them yet as I'm having some problems
with 4:3 material not being scaled properly. I don't think this is
related to these patches, but wanted to track it down to be sure. The
patches are against a fairly old CVS checkout but are quite simple so
shouldn't need much adjustment if they don't apply cleanly.

  I'm not sure if this is a good long term solution nor whether
specifying the size or an aspect ratio makes more sense from a usability
point of view. It'd be good to get something to the point where it can
be submitted, though.

  Let me know if this works for you or not.

	Robert