[mythtv] Epia hardware decoding - still problems

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Aug 29 08:54:22 EDT 2004

> (The only thing that keeps us from using it 100% of the time is the
> slow channel change which is nuisance is you just want to zap for a bit.)

Chuck in some debug statements around the channel change code, and I
suspect that you will find (like me) that most of the channel change
time is spent waiting for threads to pause?  For a DVB setup it takes
0.6-1.2 secs to pause all the threads... I suspect that most of this
time can be tuned out, but I had a lot of difficulty working out where
the actual delay was...

For me I also reduced the prebuffering to fewer frames and this gave a
decent speedup as well.

There is some optimisation here if you are prepared dig around a little
bit.  At one point I had mine down to about 150ms for channel change,
but then some things changes elsewhere and it went back up to about 1sec
again.  I haven't tried to debug it since

Ed W