[mythtv] hack for using removable with mythvideo

Leo Weppelman leo at wau.mis.ah.nl
Sat Aug 21 16:13:35 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 07:58:20PM -0400, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Xavier Hervy wrote:
>
> >J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> >
> >>There was a fairly comprehensive patch for this some time ago but the
> >>author never seemed to manage submitting a version that didn't tack
> >>on a bunch of other crap as well...

<offtopic>
You probably don't mean it this way, I assume, but I can understand quite
well that Xavier sees this as insulting. A lot of fights and endless
arguments on mailings lists are caused by careless phrasing and the fact
that english is not everyones main language thus enhancing confusion.
An occaisional beer together would have prevented a lot of grief...
It would be great if the writers would be more carefull and the readers
would wear asbest vests before entering the arena.
</offtopic>

> >That's true, "the author" never seemed to manage submitting a version
> >that didn't tack on a bunch of others powerfull features like cd
> >collection and some easy to use filter in videogallery. The author use
> >it actually too this powerfull feature to manage

Some of these features I really liked, like the identification of the cd.

> Second, I asked on more than one occasion to submit as a single patch
> that added that one feature.  Everything you sent in a revision of your
> patch it included things outside the scope of your feature.  I didn't
> crap on it, I think it's a good idea.  The only thing I asked was for
> you to make your patches more focused, just like everyone else gets
> asked to do.

I offered Xavier to break up his patch into smaller chunks, to make it
more acceptable. I really understand your problems with such a jumbo
patch. Since I can read the code pretty well (I have been programming
C code for quite some years) but I am new to c++ and qt, so inventing
the code is pretty hard and Xavier is definitely better capable than
I am at the moment ;-) So I am willing to do some handwork here if there
is some chance to get it accepted.

Leo.