[mythtv] MythWeb Video Info Edit feature patch - need help

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 17 15:43:30 EDT 2004

Dan Willemsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:53, Bob Cottingham wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to add the ability in Mythweb to download an image file
>> from the web and place it in the video cover art directory.  The
>> art directory is in the user home directory (typically
>> ~/.mythtv/MythVideo) with a symlink to it from the mythweb
>> directory.  Reading isn't a problem and writing the file to a
>> directory under mythweb that isn't a symlink isn't a problem.
>> However, writing a file to the art directory symlink fails due to
>> permission issues.  The symlink has been given a permission of 777
>> and I've tried putting FollowSymLinks in the .htacces file but
>> still have no luck.  Any idea what I could look at that could be
>> causing the permission problem?  If it would help to see the patch,
>> I can provide that too, but it also includes a lot of other changes
>> to mythweb-mythvideo.
>>

> Have you checked to see if the webserver can access all the
> containing directories? I've had similar problems before and had to
> chmod a+x all the containing directories. I currently run mythweb out
> of ~/projects/myth/mythweb, so if this isn't it, I don't know what is
>

> basically, try this: chmod a+x ~ ~/.mythtv ~/.mythtv/MythVideo

Yeah, a couple of points....

The whole directory tree must be accessable by Apache so the /home dir
must be "x" for apache, as must the /home/user directory and so forth.

The permissions of the symlink could be a bit of a red herring as it is
the permissions of the folder the symlink points to that matters too.

The fact that Apache can read the files suggests it /is/ already
FollowSymLink enabled by default.

It is probably just that the Apache process does not have write
permission the to the cover art file, like I say the 777 on the symlink
is not quite the same as a 777 on the destination folder of the symlink.

Not 100% sure as I don't use them much, but if the web root and the
/home directory are on the same partition, you can create a hardlink to
the folder and have permissions set on that which would negate the need
to ensure the /home/user was readable by apache...?? Like I say not 100%
on that one.

Hope this helps

Col.

--