[mythtv] video freeze

Mon Aug 16 02:12:14 EDT 2004

John Patrick Poet wrote:

> I reported a problem a week ago, about not being able to edit the cut
> list, by searching using the "keyframe".  At that time I mentioned
> that when skipping around in a show, the video would sometimes freeze
> up.  At the time I thought the two problems were related.  However,
> since then Chris Pinkham fixed the "keyframe" problem, but the
> freeze-up problem still exists for me.
>
> I do not generally do a lot of jumping arround within a recorded show,
> but with the Olympics under way, I am skipping arround a lot.
>
> When I skip forward by any amount, it often results in the video
> imediately freezing.  The audio will play for half a second, and then
> it will stop.  Myth will not respond to keystrokes for many seconds,
> and then will respond in a very sluggish way.
>
> If I hit the forward-skip key a few more times, the video will often
> start playing again -- but I get no audio.
>
> If I escape back to the menu, while the video is frozen, it will often
> freeze imediately apon an attempt to play the show again.
>
> This problem seems to have been introduced arround July 24th.  For now
> I am using the CVS version from July 23rd on my frontend machine,
> since it does not have this problem.

Loosing audio seems to be a seperate issue.  Even with the July 23rd
CVS, I can loose audio by skipping arround within the show.

I have discovered that I can consitantly cause it to loose audio by
"Increasing the playback speed" (i.e. pressing `U'), and then pressing
"play".  After pressing "play", the video plays fine, but is completely
silent.  This is true both with AC3 from a HD-2000 file and the mpeg
audio from a PVR-x50 file.

Chris,

    Can you send me your patch for the "keyframe" problem, so I can try
applying it to version of the CVS after July 23rd?  I would like to
eliminate that problem to help narrow down when the "video freeze"
problem was introduced.  TIA.

John