[mythtv] strange ghosting effect with CVS deinterlacing

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Aug 15 22:05:12 EDT 2004

Hi,

I just upgraded to the latest CVS code to get the new interlacing stuff
(bob etc). I was running CVS from about a month ago which was working
fine, using kerneldeint.

With the latest code, kerneldeint often displays a rather strange
picture. It looks like a few frames each second are being draw shifted
left or right of their proper position. It ends up looking like ghosting
in the picture. Mostly I see it to the right but there's some to the
left as well. There's usually some other corruption going on at the top
or the bottom of the screen too.

This is in live TV. I haven't tried recordings yet to look for it. I can
switch channels, or exit live TV and enter again, and it'll go away. But
next channel change and it'll reappear. Looks like it's there about 50%
of the time.

It's not really ghosting on the received picture, as I'm using DVB-T.

Doesn't seem to occur with bob. I'm using Xv output with a GF4 440MX.
I haven't tried onefield or the linear blend filters.

BTW, I had a quick glance at bob. Looks fantastic. I've been running
kerneldeint without the experimental A/V sync enabled, and I got kind of
used to the low-frame-rate feel. Now with bob it's as smooth as old
fashioned analog direct TV. Thanks Doug and Isaac!

Hamish