[mythtv] lots of interlacing recently...

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Mon Aug 9 11:05:19 EDT 2004

On Monday 09 August 2004 11:06, David wrote:

> In the second situation you have frames 1&2 (ie a blend of film frame a
> and film frame b) in mpeg frame (I) and frames 2&3 (a blend of film
> frames b and c) in mpeg frame (II) - really horrible blurry mpeg that
> will always look bad on any progressive scan player - but which will
> play back well on a PVR350.
>
> What type of de-interlacing fixes this?
> I've heard "reverse telecine" - does one of Myths filters provide this?

The deinterlacer in dscaler (windows app, tvtime can also use the dlls)
does a pretty damn good job in any situation.

"Inverse telecine" is not what you're looking for, that's for the horrible
film->video tricks you have to do for NTSC.

But in either case you'd need some kind of motion detection to figure out
what order of fields is correct as it can suddenly change from scene to
scene, or even cut to cut as pretty much everything (movies, tv shows,
etc) is edited after it has been transferred from film to video.

So you have to choose between looking good in a special case and really bad
in all others or looking equally bad all around.