[mythtv] My epia has got the shakes in latest cvs (viaslice qmatrix related?)

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sun Aug 1 18:46:03 EDT 2004

Tako Schotanus wrote:

> Darren wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 16:39, Tako Schotanus wrote:
>>

>>> PS: Mine's a Nehemiah EPIA M 10000 too.
>>>

>> Just having a wild stab in the dark here ..
>>
>> You might be having a problem with a newer version of the Nehemiah/M10k
>> chipset.
>>
>> If you do..
>>
>> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> you will get something like this..
>>
>> vendor_id : CentaurHauls cpu family : 6 model : 9 model name : VIA
>> Nehemiah stepping : 1 <<< what do you get here ??? if you get a 3 or
>> a 5 ( or
>> something else) it might be worth you looking at ...
>>

>> http://linpvr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125
>>
>> and
>> http://tinyurl.com/5uq9a
>>
>> I'm not sure what else to suggest, let me know how you get on or if you
>> need me to check anything for you on my setup.
>>

> Nope, exactly the same but it would still be strange because my setup
> has worked perfectly for quite some time now, it happened after having
> upgraded to the latest CVS which I know has changes with respect to the
> via hardware mpeg decoding.
>
> If I knew which files handle that I could just blindly try to retrieve
> some older versions from CVS to see if the problem goes away, but
> unfortunately I know nothing of this part of the code.
>
> Are you using the latest CVS as well?

Ok, I tracked it down to the latest libs/libavcodec/viaslice.c version,
if I comment out the following line (line 18):

    slicestate->top_field_first = s->top_field_first;

everything works fine again.

I guess the code that determines which field should go first doesn't
work on my system for some reason. And probably the default (== 0 ?)
worked for me so there was nothing wrong up to now.

I took a look at the code that the determines the value of the
top_field_first field, but it will take much more than just a quick look
because I don't understand any of it (not the code, that is simple
enough, but I don't know anything about mpeg decoding, fields, slices,
whatever) so I hope somebody else can take a look at it (Kenneth? Could
you maybe look at it? The lines seem to come from a patch made by you).

Cheers,
 -Tako