[mythtv] Feature Idea

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 30 09:08:09 EDT 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 03:17, Simon at the Threshold wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I had an idea a while back (occasionally happens!)..
>
> Basicly I was playing around with some recording movies, clipping out
> the adverts and the tail and of the movie and was trying to get the
> preview image to update to the new beginning of the movie. When it
> occurred to me that it might be cool to have a "scene selector" for a
> movie. So you could "bookmark" a series of movie points and when you
> went into the "scene selector" it would give  visual menu of the
> bookmarks. Thus making it a breeze to find your way around movies.
>
> What do you think?, go on be honest I can take it.. <chuckle>

Great idea.  I can also think of a simpler, easier to implement feature
that's similar and might be an acceptable first-pass at trying to
implement this.  My standalone DVD player has a 'digest' button that
will bring up a scene index for movies that aren't broken down into
chapters.  It does this by grabbing a frame every X minutes (I think X
is 10; don't remember if it's configurable or not).  It's great for
SVCDs that don't have chapter marks.  It should be relatively easy for
Myth to do this; the code is already there to grab a preview image at X
seconds, and it can be done on the fly.

Not quite what you were going for, but certainly easier in the
short-term.

-JAC