[mythtv] Watch/Delete Recordings

Kevin Kuphal kevin.kuphal at myrealbox.com
Wed Apr 21 17:09:57 EDT 2004

> You  really think that changing the current group belongs in
> the setup? Riiight.

What I'm saying is, that if the action is for general options, they should
be mapped to keys like 1-9 (much as they are in the Recording Priorities
screen) for sorting and things that apply to the page or list as a whole.
My comment on setup was meant for General settings, not toggleable options
pertaining to the current view.

The Menu and Info keys should be relegated to performing actions on the item
selected.

> Using select as bringing up a menu is extremely
> non-intuitive, a new user should understand what a menu-key
> is supposed to do.

That depends, if the Menu key isn't standardized to bring up relevant
actions to the focus of the control, then it becomes something not likely to
be used since it is not always the first inclination of the user to press
Menu when the behavior isn't consistent.  By using select to bring up the
menu in "novice" mode, all the relevant actions are presented to the user
and they are given the choice.  In "expert" mode, it does what is considered
to be the "default" action.  The whole argument is moot anyways since it
doesn't seem that there is any desire for such a mode even though I think it
would increase the usability for new users dramatically.

Adding more Menu keys only complicates things because we have a limited
number of keys to work with given that we can assume that the user is
operating the system from a remote.  I know I don't have any more keys to
assign on mine so working within the existing keys is critical.

Kevin