[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Apr 19 04:48:34 EDT 2004

Bruce Markey wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 11:50:13PM +0200, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> >
> > Find every place the channel is displayed and change it to honor the
> > existing, but probably seldom used, DisplayChanNum option, i.e. it
> > will display either channel.channum or channel.name as
> selected by the
> > user.
>
> One thought is maybe have settings options for short name
> and long name each with a spinbox to choose number, callsign,
> number + callsign, name, or number + name.

I had been thinking something similar reading his message, although I
still think we shouldn't use callsign for display purposes in any
situation. If it's a database key let it not be used for display
purposes because there will be people who will want to change it.

> I might use Short: "callsign" Long: "callsign" (or maybe name ;-)
> If I understood Tako's message (and I may not have) he gets
> "The Cartoon Network" in callsign(?). If so, he could put
> abbreviations in "name" and use Short: "name" Long: "callsign"

Actually I don't remember if it gets inserted in callsign or in name, I
only remember I had to do a lot of manual hacking. Here among friends
and colleagues who want to set up MythTV we just share out channel table
with them and tell them to update the freqid column to suit their
situation. That lessens the the pain a little of getting MythTV
installed in The Netherlands ;-)

> > desired will be an exorcise for the user.  My case will be as simple
>
> You may want to check for daemons in your spell checker.

Get your crucifixes ready!

> Three things I learned today:
>
> 1) If the fervour is over how and where the callsign is displayed,

Like "nowhere"? ;-)

> it only comes up in a handful of places and may not be too hard
> to make all grabber users happy.

Agreed.

-Tako