[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Apr 19 00:44:33 EDT 2004

David Engel wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 11:50:13PM +0200, Tako Schotanus wrote:
>
>>tight spaces. So either we make sure that the name is displayed
>>everywhere instead of the callsign or we add a new field called shortname.
>

> I've added this to my todo list.  Here is what I propose to do.

Now where have *you* been. You should have swooped in as good
cop when everyone was pissed at me so they would have flocked
to you for your sage advice and voice of reason.

> Find every place the channel is displayed and change it to honor the
> existing, but probably seldom used, DisplayChanNum option, i.e. it
> will display either channel.channum or channel.name as selected by the
> user.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought you had in mind. I was
taking a look around just now and there really aren't that
many places that the callsign or name appear. The key place
is the left column of the EPG where it really does need to
be short. The progfinder and Search->Channels popup and
proglist listbox have number plus callsign. However, pages
with show descriptions have a full line for a long name.

One thought is maybe have settings options for short name
and long name each with a spinbox to choose number, callsign,
number + callsign, name, or number + name.

I might use Short: "callsign" Long: "callsign" (or maybe name ;-)
If I understood Tako's message (and I may not have) he gets
"The Cartoon Network" in callsign(?). If so, he could put
abbreviations in "name" and use Short: "name" Long: "callsign"

> desired will be an exorcise for the user.  My case will be as simple

You may want to check for daemons in your spell checker.

Three things I learned today:

1) If the fervour is over how and where the callsign is displayed,
it only comes up in a handful of places and may not be too hard
to make all grabber users happy.

2) The new DD grabber has some real spiffy long names where
available:

+--------+---------+----------+----------------------+---------+
| chanid | channum | callsign | name                 | xmltvid |
+--------+---------+----------+----------------------+---------+
|   1003 | 3       | KVBC     | KVBC                 | 10790   |
|   1005 | 5       | KVVU     | KVVU                 | 10811   |
|   1007 | 7       | TBSP     | Turner Broadcasting  | 34240   |
|   1008 | 8       | KLAS     | KLAS                 | 10536   |
|   1010 | 10      | KLVX     | KLVX                 | 10561   |
|   1013 | 13      | KTNV     | KTNV                 | 10726   |
|   1014 | 14      | KTUDCA   | KTUDCA UPN 25        | 19501   |
|   1019 | 19      | VEGAS1   | Las Vegas One        | 18335   |
|   1020 | 20      | CNN      | Cable News Network   | 10142   |
|   1021 | 21      | FNC      | Fox News Channel     | 16374   |
|   1022 | 22      | CNNH     | CNN Headline News    | 10145   |
|   1026 | 26      | LIFEP    | Lifetime (Pacific)   | 10919   |
|   1027 | 27      | BETP     | Black Entertainment  | 24483   |

...which leads to 3) I would have been screwed blue right now,
today, if we hadn't done it the way we did.

Xmltvids from just the past few months:

3 != C3kvbc.zap2it.com != C123kvbc.zap2it.com != 10790 (!!!)

On the other hand:

KVBC == KVBC == KVBC == KVBC

--  bjm