[mythtv] MythGallery Memory leak

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Sun Apr 18 18:56:26 EDT 2004

    Matt> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:56:49PM +0100, Mark Edwards
    Matt> wrote:
    >> transitions.  I guess a gdb backtrace is required for anyone to
    >> look at this?  It's very reproducible, just turn the slideshow
    >> on, leave it for 30 minutes or so and it'll have crashed,
    >> checking top the frontend gradually increases till it runs out.

    Matt> A backtrace isn't likely to help.  You'll need to find out
    Matt> what type of objects are occupying that memory, and where
    Matt> they're being allocated.

I have been suspicious of memory leaks in MythGallery, too, but
haven't tried it since I upgraded to use CVS.

A lot of people seem to like using valgrind to detect memory leaks...
(I haven't seriously used it myself). There are many (read: too many)
alternatives if you don't like valgrind for some reason.

Also on the topic of memory leaks, be warned that resources may be
allocated on the X server, and a client may cause the X server process
to "leak memory", although it appears you have already ruled this out
for this particular problem.
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>