[mythtv] Use callsign for scheduling

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 10:42:18 EDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 03:29, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Friday 16 April 2004 03:25, Bruce Markey wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > I assume you mean your assumptions about what you assume I'm
> > assuming even though I was assuming that you weren't going to
> > assume that I was making false assumptions. What I'm saying
> > is that if you were to get up from your computer and take a
> > walk around your neighborhood, you would see lots of people
> > that have no idea what MythTV is but every single one of them
> > knows with the "BBC" is!
>
> to add another data point here
> the BBC broadcast in the UK and Northern Ireland
> they also broadcast via satellite
>
> they have a station called BBC1
> everyone knows it as BBC1
> except in each region of the UK they have variations
> so you have BBC1 Scotland and BBC1 Northern Ireland
> they also broadcast these variations via satellite
>
> except - big except
>
> the schedules on terrestrial and satellite can vary
> so BBC1 (Northern Ireland) received via cable (from which i get the
> terrerstrial signal because the transmitter is 180 miles north of
> here) is sometimes different from the signal that i get from
> satellite

This is fine; enter whatever you want for callsigns.  For instance, if
"BBC 1 (Northern Ireland)" on satellite shares the same program
schedule as that received over cable, then you could enter "BBC 1 NI"
as the callsign for both, and Myth would then know that it could record
a particular program from either source.  If, however, they have
different programs schedules, then make 2 different callsigns:  "BBC 1
NI Sat" and "BBC 1 NI Cbl", and Myth will know that they do not share a
program schedule.

You could just as easily make the callsign "FOOBAR 1".  It doesn't
matter.  What matters is that 2 channels with the same callsign will be
treated by scheduler as identical in terms of program availability.  2
channels with different callsigns will be treated separately by the
scheduler.

-JAC