[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Kenneth Aafløy ke-aa at frisurf.no
Wed Apr 14 21:10:25 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:40, Taylor Jacob wrote:
> > > You only are using fta channels and not encrypted channels from some
> > > satellite service.  Several transponders only have encrypted signals
> > > when you set it up so there is no reference to the transponders you are
> > > not currently tuning to.
> >
> > This is bull, go read the MPEG specs, because they clearly state that
> > providers can't encrypt the PAT/PMT amongst others.

You cut out:

About transponder linking:
They are linked in the section headers...read the MPEG + DVB specs. But yes,
iirc, there are some broken providers out there, who don't make sure all
transponders on a satellite will get visited from a random scan.

About scanning in general:
So you are saying that all current satellites/transponders should be
pre-stored in MythTV? I belive something like this was argued on this list
before, but then only for Satellites. This was (iirc) rejected by Isaac, so
it's either going to be a configuration file (which is lame, since the
configuration source for MythTV is the database) or hardcoded. To lessen the
load on the users that don't have DVB, we could hardcode the list itself, and
only push it onto the database when a DVB card is first configured. Don't
know if the maintainers would be happy with that?

> OK I guess I wasn't clear. I am not talking about encrypting the PAT/PMT.
> Considner this example.
>
> TRANSPONDER 1 - PROGRAM 1 (FTA)
> TRANSPONDER 2 - PROGRAM 2 (ENCRYPTED)
>
> If you only wanted to deal with FTA channels you would have something in
> your dvb_channels that was like this:
>
> TRANSPONDER 1 FREQ,POLARITY,SYMBOLRATE,SID,ETC
>
> So then if next week the TRANSPONDER setup was like this:
>
> TRANSPONDER 1 - PROGRAM 1 (FTA)
> TRANSPONDER 2 - PROGRAM 2 (FTA)
>
> You then fire up the scanner built into myth and I have a broken provider
> that doesn't show the existance of each transponder (Common in NA)..
>
> I would select just TRANSPONDER 1 in my scan by going the distinct method
> you mentioned therefore I would be unable to ever know of hte existance of
> PROGRAM 2 until I manually put it in.
>
> Does that make sense?

Did you read the rest of the mail? I was agreeing with you... :)

--

Kenneth Aafløy
ke-aa at frisurf.no