[mythtv] DVB Channel Changes

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Apr 14 10:02:19 EDT 2004

Tako Schotanus wrote:

>Ramon could have made mplayer optional, that would have been
>usefull for people that don't need or want the functionality it offers,
>but why?

Exactly because it "would have been usefull for people that don't need
or want the functionality" that mplayer offers (finetuning), but who
need the rest of MythChannels' functionality (general channel setup,
import etc.).

Having code that knowingly breaks, even for a significant number of
people, just leads to crap quality, step by step.

>MythChannels was an optional module

And that's what it still is, not? If it's just to be an optional module
for a few people, Ramon would have been free to put it on sf.net,
berlios.de or whereever and have people install it separately. We were
discussing to have it in MythTV's default installation, that's when it
gets useful for a large number of people, but then it should also *work*
for them.

Oh, well, what are we discussing. As long as there's no maintainer
willing to pick it up, it's fruitless to argue about could-be,
would-have-been.