[mythtv] Patch to fix lame error -3

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Tue Sep 23 20:17:19 EDT 2003

I had actually sent out a patch regarding this about a week ago, but I
never noticed it being posted -- perhaps it got lost in the mail.  A few
notes :

- if lame_init_parms() fails, it is better, imho, to set
compressed_audio = false, rather than to exit.  This way, you still get
recordings if something goes funny.
- After some investigating, it turns out that a lot of audio chipsets do
not sample exactly at the specified sample rate.  The i810_audio.o
driver (asus pundit) tries to compensate for the variation, and after
failing, will report back the exact audio frequency sample rate.  I
think the solution in the patch works in this case too.  I'm sure
similar things are happening in other drivers too.
- the patch i submitted would check to see if the samplerate was a valid
one in the first place.  This might be redundant as the frontend should
assure only valid ones are used, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Here is some follow up info on the subject after pinging linux-kernel :
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.2/0314.html

Reza