[mythtv] Re: Looking for suggestions: Smarter Screen Grabbing

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Tue Sep 23 22:15:15 EDT 2003

bobnvic at everestkc.net wrote:

>Tako Schotanus wrote:
>

>>bobnvic at everestkc.net wrote:
>>

>>>Ramon Redondo wrote:
>>><some text snipped>

>>>Since programs vary in the times that they schedule their
>>>commercials, it might be nice to have a customizable offset per
>>>program.  This would probably best be on the advanced screen
>>>for program scheduling.
>>>

>>I think might be too much work, why would a user go through all
>>that trouble?
>>

>The user wouldn't have to go through any trouble if they didn't want to.
>It would still default to 64 seconds, plus any prerecord time.  If they
>wanted to make any adjustments to a program they could just go to
>the advanced schedule screen and change the time.  Doesn't sound
>like any trouble for a user to me, though I have no idea how hard it
>would be to code.

Ok, trouble is maybe the wrong word,  maybe strange is better ;-)
Thing is that having a per-program setting that you are only going to
use once in its lifetime seems "strange/wrong".
You understand what I mean? Of course if the "screenshot button" below
is not possible it might be the only other option left.
(Although if you have to fill in the number of seconds into the
recording where you want a screenshot taken you could easily simplify
that by adding a new shortcut key which, pressed while viewing the
recording, would insert the current number of seconds played into that
same field)

>>>I've often wished I had the ability to set the screen grab to the
>>>image of my choice while in the editing mode and cutting
>>>commercials.  Perhaps another key that meant 'replace the
>>>current screen grab with this frame'.
>>>

>>Exactly what I had been thinking too, I think this would be a
>>_great_  feature! (and then do the same for the videos ;-)
>>

>Except there isn't a convenient editing mode for videos to do this in.

Well, to be honest I wouldn't mind having the screenshot feature in
normal play mode either, no need to go into edit mode for that I think.
And for the videos I think it's more of a problem that the used player
(mplayer, xine, etc) don't have this screenshot functionality.
But it is nice to dream about it :-)

-Tako