[mythtv] Re: Re: Re:Shutdown option on main menu patch...

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Sat Sep 20 12:46:32 EDT 2003

The idea of a democratically run project might make sense when there
are a number of contributors of roughly equal importance. However, in
this case the bulk of the code is Isaac's and he remains the most
active contributor. He
1)started the project
2)is responsible for the bulk of the code
3)still remains the biggest active contributor
4)provides the infrastructure (cvs, webpage, etc)

In light of the above I think it is not reasonable to expect Isaac to
hand over control to  people, a few of whom  have contributed, but most
of which have simply submitted feature requests and bug reports if that.

Big projects with many contributers, perhaps with some grants and
corporate backing (I'm thinking of Mozilla and Open Office) may be
somewhat "customer driven" sort of like a regular software company, but
myth is a completely different animal.  What you have here is one
person who has an itch. And he scratches, with the help of a very few
others. If someone has a different itch, one that includes running a
democratically run fork of Myth, I suppose that the are welcome to it.
The point I'm making is that open source is whatever you make it. It
isn't doing it the "kernel way" or "how mozilla does it" or anything
other than, "the way the people doing it want to do it". Isaac wants to
do this. Some other people want to help. Isaac doesn't want to run it
as a democracy. End of story.

best,
Cedar