[mythtv] native lirc support for external changers...

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Thu Sep 18 06:39:27 EDT 2003

So, I wanted to get rid of the call to an external script to change
channels -- or at least to provide the option of not having to fork an
external program if you were using the irblaster functionality of lirc.
So I wrote code (a class) to connect to the /dev/lircd socket and send the proper
commands to change the channels.  This saves a lot of overhead and in
theory should make chaning channels faster for those of us with external
changers.

Then I found the existing lirc native support in mythtv.  I should have
done more grepping... Though it doesn't support transmiting IR yet..

Unless ther are any objections, I'm going to try to merge my code with
the lirc_client() code and and integrate it with the external channel
change code.

This would then be used as a configurable option.  I would also need to
add a few entries to the gui (not sure on how to do that) for
configuration :

	- to enable this rather than the externalChannelChange script
	- if an 'ENTER' keypress is required to enter the channel
	- number of digits the changer expects
	- delay in ms between each transmitted channel

Any comments/suggestions?

Reza