[mythtv] Caller ID

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Wed Sep 17 20:07:12 EDT 2003

Ken Bass wrote:

>2) Your design created an XML telephone event structure that was specific to
>caller id and would require myth to understand that structure. I wanted a
>generic notify capability that works with stuff other than caller id and
>doesn't require any knowledge on the mythtv side (minimize coupling). My
>design creates a <mythnotify> XML structure than can allow any
>container/textarea to be updated that exists within an OSD theme.
>
>3) Your design hardcoded the XML structure in the cidbcast program, mine
>reads it from a file and replaces keywords. This allows changing the XML
>structure without changing the program.

The disadvantage is that now (the template of) the caller id server
needs to know about MythTV (and even its theme structure?). Another way
might have been to use a caller id specific XML for transfer over UDP
and then to use XSLT on the MythTV side to convert it into the
MythTV-specific format you use now. This would not require any knowledge
on the MythTV side about the type of notification, apart from a simple
XSLT template, which could then also be adjusted to the requirements of
the themes. The advantage of this is that the communication protocol is
then not MythTV-specific, but your server could be used by other apps as
well.

Anyways, thanks for this. Could be a nice infrastrucure to alert about
time-critical events.